Alameda County Department of Environmental Health operates various programs to protect the public. Some timely news items follow:
NEWS AND INFORMATION
- As of October 2nd the Hayward HHW Facility is Closed due to water main break
Use Fremont or Oakland facility instead
Go to stopwaste.org for details on alternate hours and location or call 800-606-6606
- ConAgra Foods Recall of Organic Mixed Vegetables, Organic Super Sweet Corn (Yellow/Gold), and Organic Peas due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
Product of various dates are affected (see attached list in the link provided):
- Watts Brothers Farms brand:
Organic Mixed Vegetables, Organic Super Sweet Corn (Yellow/Gold), and Organic Peas
- Trader Joe's brand
Organic Super Sweet Corn
For additional information, please visit: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Documents/fdbFrCAF8n.pdf
- SUPER BOWL 2016
Learn more... (PDF - 215kb) *
- HEALTH ALERT: Shigella Cases Linked To Restaurant Exposure In San Jose
Learn more... (PDF - 128kb) *
- Multi-jurisdictional outbreak of Salmonella Poona linked to cucumbers- recall and CDPH press release
A multi-jurisidictional outbreak of Salmonella Poona has been linked to cucumbers grown by specific farm in Mexico and distributed by Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce of San Diego. The company has voluntarily recalled the product.
Please refer to the following links for more information:
- RECALL: Voluntary Nationwide Recall Of A Thousand Virgins Grey Wash Tattoo Inks And Tattoo Kits Due To Microbial Contamination (Released August 2015)
- Pending Ban on the Use of Polystyrene for Food Service Ware (05/13/15)
Learn more... (PDF - 113kb) *
- Public Meetings: Update to Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS, Septic) Permitting in Alameda County (03/12/2015)
The Alameda County Department of Environmental Health, Land Use Program will be attending community meetings throughout the County to present updates to Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS, formerly "septic") permitting in Alameda County, in response to a new State OWTS Policy. Please view the Land Use Program page for more information, including community meeting handouts, meeting dates, and to sign up for e-mail alerts.
- NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING to consider Product Stewardship Plans - Safe Drug Disposal Program (02/23/2015)
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN of a public hearing to consider the Product Stewardship Plans submitted to the Department of Environmental Health by producers of Covered Drugs to determine whether the plans comply with the Alameda County Safe Drug Disposal Ordinance, Chapter 6.53 of Title 6, Alameda County Health and Safety Code, and Regulations adopted pursuant to that chapter.
Public Hearing Notice (PDF - 32kb) *
- Bidart Bros is recalling all Granny Smith and Gala apples (fresh-pack, peelers, and processors) shipped in 2014 because of possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination (1/09/15)
Recall Info Sheet (PDF - 32kb) *
Labels (PDF - 127kb) *
Recall - Firm Press Release
For additional information, please visit CDPH Recall Website
- Fee Schedule Changes
2014 Alameda County Environmental Health Department Fee Study Report - (Wohlford Consulting) (PDF - 757kb)*
CAL/EPA UNIFIED PROGRAM POLICY Memorandum (PDF - 334kb)*
Food, Recreation, Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art Program
Community Meeting Notice Food and Recreation (PDF - 84kb)*
Community Meeting Notice Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art (PDF - 78kb)*
Community Meeting Presentation (PDF - 608kb)*
Fee Schedule Food and Recreation (PDF - 1,873kb)*
Fee Schedule Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art (PDF - 1,873kb)*
Community Meeting Notice CUPA (PDF - 324kb)*
Community Meeting Presentation CUPA (PDF - 787kb)*
Fee Schedule CUPA (PDF - 1,873kb)*
Please send your comments on the proposed fees to: CUPA Proposed Fees Comments.
- Ebola Updates
Ebola webpage resources with some key links:
California Department of Public Health (CDPH) created an Ebola Hotline for questions that will be in operation from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: (855) 421-5921
- Alameda County Septic Commission: Public Meeting to Discuss Current Septic Topics (10/16/14)
On October 16th, 2014, the Commission will hold a regular meeting at 2:00pm in the Castro Valley Library. Meeting Agenda (PDF - 357kb)*
- PUBLIC HEALTH UPDATE (August 19, 2014)
- Wawona Packing Company has expanded their recall of fresh, whole peaches, nectarines, plums and plouts due to possible health risk ( July 31, 2014)
For additional information, please visit: Learn more...
- Wawona Packing Co. Takes Precautionary Step of Voluntarily Recalling Fresh, Whole Peaches, Plums, Nectarines, and Pluots Because of Possible Health Risk (July 19, 2014)
The FDA has posted two press releases, one from Wawona Packing Co and one from Whole Foods, along with a link to photos of the recalled product:
Link to photos of recalled product: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm405945.htm
These links can be found on the main FDA recalls page, http://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls/
In addition, the Wawona Packing Co has put info on its website: http://www.wawonapacking.com/
- Foster Farms is recalling an undetermined amount of chicken products that may be contaminated with a particular strain of Salmonella Heidelberg (July 4, 2014)
Recall Information (PDF - 34kb)*
For additional information, please visit: Learn more...
- Alameda County Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Project (4/9/14)
Join Alameda County's free Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Project and your salon can become recognized as a Healthy Nail Salon! See a list of nail salons that have already been recognized (PDF - 48kb)* . Using safer products and practices will help protect not only your health but will create a safer environment for your clients. Alameda County Environmental Health Department has created a shop recognition and technician certification project with the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative.
Read more: English (PDF - 93kb)* Vietnamese (PDF - 93kb)*
- Mobile Food Vending FREE Info-Sessions held every Monday at 10AM, starting Oct. 7th (10/1/13)
Looking for information on how to permit your Mobile Food Business with Alameda County Environmental Health? Starting on Oct. 7, 2013, we will be holding a free info-session at our office, every Monday (excluding County holidays) for those who have questions on where to begin. Info-sessions will begin at 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM in room 106. Check in between 9:30-10AM at the 1st Floor Reception Desk at 1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda - Directions.
- Alameda County Food Truck Placarding (Grading) System (9/09/13)
The Alameda County Mobile Food Department will soon begin Placarding (Grading) all food trucks currently operating in Alameda County. For more information, and to submit your interest in participating in a community meeting to learn more, please see the letter we recently sent to our Food Truck owners, Commissaries and Commercial Kitchens: Food Truck Placarding Program Letter (PDF - 904kb)*
- Cottage Food Law (1/4/13)
Various documents have been posted to aid the public's understanding of this new law: CCDEH Model CFO Flow Chart (PDF - 25kb)* CCDEH Model CFO Guidelines (PDF - 40kb)*
CFO Model Registration Form (PDF - 189kb)* CFO Model Self-Certification Checklist (PDF - 63kb)*
- Cottage Food Law (12/19/12)
On January 1, 2013 the new Cottage Food law will become effective. This will allow small business operators to produce certain items in their home kitchens for sale to the public. Learn more: AB 1616 FAQs (English) (PDF - 335kb)* AB 1616 FAQs (Spanish) (PDF - 456kb)*
More information on Cottage Food Operations can be found on the California Department of Public Health website.
- California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) (10/19/12)
Did you know that CalEPA has a training video to help you get started as a Business User of CERS? To watch a demo click here.
You can use the CERS Business Training Portal to get familiar with the system, create "test" businesses and facilities and more.
The owner/operator or legal representative of each regulated CUPA Facility in the Alameda County Department of Environmental Health CUPA Jurisdiction (PDF - 229kb)* needs to print this form, complete the necessary sections, and fax or mail the form to the CUPA office. ELECTRONIC REPORTING LEAD USER AUTHORIZATION FORM (PDF - 477kb)*
- Advisories / Current Topics / Employment Archive
- Notice of Acceptance of an Application to Amend the Report of Facility Information for Alameda County Industries
Learn more... (PDF - 66kb)*
- Public Notice – Alameda County Draft Local Agency Management Program, Onsite Wastewater Systems Manual, and OWTS Ordinance & Regulations Amendments
Learn more... (PDF - 58kb)*
- Public Meeting of Alameda County Commission on Septic System Issues (11/06/13)
On November 6, 2013, the Commission will hold a regular meeting at 2:00 in the Castro Valley Library. Learn more... (PDF - 82kb)*
- Public Notices Archive
Careers In Environmental Health
Working in the Environmental Health field can be a rewarding occupation, enabling one to positively impact the environment and protect the public's health. Learn more...
* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.