Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
Banner for Alameda County Environmental Health shows picture of department building.
Land Use Program

> Program Overview
> What is "Land Use" in Alameda County?
> Events & Announcements
> Regulatory Documents
> OWTS Consultants & Contractors
> Permitting Process
> Consultation Meetings
> Forms
> Incorporated Areas
> Sunol Septic Work Group
> Program Fees
> Areas of Concern
> Resources
> Contact Us
Related Links
> Look up an Assessor's Parcel Number (APN)
> Look up your Supervisorial District

ACEH Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems Permitting Process

The planning, and permitting process, as well as schedule and cost for regulatory oversight will differ depending on the type and complexity of your project, and where your project is located. The specific permitting process will be identified after a Service Request Application has been submitted and reviewed.

Interagency coordination with other regulatory agencies may be required in order to obtain approvals and/or permits associated with Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, including, but not limited to: Conditional Use Permits, Site Development Reviews, Building Permits, Grading Permits, Demolition Permits, Storm Water Permits, Commercial Food Facility Permits, and wastewater treatment facilities regulated by the State.

Consultation Meeting

A Consultation Meeting may be requested by the property owner to discuss the project with Alameda County Environmental Health Staff. This meeting can be held at the Zone 7 Water Agency office in Livermore, at the Alameda County Department of Environmental Health's office in Alameda, or at the project site.


To initiate regulatory oversight on a project related to Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, you must complete and submit pages one through four of the Service Request Application (SRA) below.

Tables 1 through 7 are provided as guidance to help property owners understand the permitting process and requisite submittals for each project phase. The SRA requires the property owner to certify that they have reviewed the table that corresponds with the applicable project phase.

Return the SRA and appropriate permit fees, along with two copies of supporting documents to the Alameda County Environmental Health Department located at 1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, CA 94502-6577. Fees can be paid via cash, credit card, check or money order. Find out more about fees here. ACEH will contact you for additional copies of supporting documents as necessary for approval and distribution to applicable parties.

Copies of the SRA may be referred to other County Departments and Governmental jurisdictions that have responsibilities with the proposed project. A meeting with ACEH Land Use Program, Applicant, and referral agencies may be conducted after review of the SRA in order to clarify aspects of the project, determine additional information that may be required, and discuss other relevant issues.

The SRA may also be referred to interested non-governmental parties, such as adjacent property owners. All issues raised from these referrals must be resolved prior to OWTS plan approval or issuance of a permit.

Getting into our Queue

To find out how to submit the application forms and fees, see the Program Fees Page.

Upon submittal of a complete Service Request Application (SRA) , supporting documents and minimum fee deposit, the project will be placed in ACEH's Land Use Program's review queue based on the date payment is received and the type of service requested.

Please note there will be a 10 business-day application processing period for each Service Request Application submitted.

Permitting in Incorporated Areas

If your project is in one of Alameda County's Incorporated Cities (listed below), you must first contact the City in which the project takes place, and then submit documentation on City letterhead with a completed Service Request Application and Fees to ACEH Land Use Program documenting the distance to the nearest available sewer line and authorizing Environmental Health to provide regulatory oversight for the permitting of your Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS).

Incorporated Cities in Alameda County

Unincorporated Areas

If your project is in an unincorporated area of Alameda County, then the Alameda County Department of Environmental Health is your permitting agency. Please see this unincorporated areas map  (PDF - 668kb)* to see if your project is in an unincorporated area.

If you are unsure if your project is in an unincorporated area, please call the Land Use Program help desk at: 510-567-6887

* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.

** Microsoft Word (DOCX) file requires the free Microsoft Word Viewer.

Online Services
> Septic System File Review Request Form
(Please include your phone number on the form.)
> OWTS Service Request Application Form (PDF - 263kb)*

Alameda County sealAlameda County © 2019 • All Rights Reserved • Legal / DisclaimersAccessibility