Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
Banner for Alameda County Environmental Health shows picture of department building.
Local Oversight Program (Environmental Cleanup)

Local Oversight Program (LOP)
> Description / Authority
> FAQ's
> Low-Threat Closure Policy
> For the Public
> For the RP / Consultant
> Find a Site
> Submit a Report
> Guidelines and Resources
> Technical References
> Electronic Site Conceptual Model

Related Links
> Well Permitting Requirements
> Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC)

  1. How can I find and select a consultant?

  2. back-to-top button Back to Top

  3. How do I review the project files for a case?
    ACEH maintains all case files in electronic form; there are no paper files. The electronic case files can be reviewed on the ACEH website. Use the link to the LOP records (center of page), allow pop ups, and then use the search tab at the top of the right hand blue column, choose LOP records, and then case number (using an abbreviated case number as a short cut). You should be able to choose the correct site thereafter (as several are likely to be pulled up). If you are a responsible party or consultant working on a project you can see what reports we have and what we don't and then upload any reports that are not there - the instructions on how to do that are in the attachments to all of our letters. Files can also be reviewed on the State Water Resources Control Board GeoTracker website. However, the ACEH case files are generally more complete because they include documents submitted prior to 2001 and include correspondence in addition to directive letters.

  4. back-to-top button Back to Top

  5. How do I claim my site in Geotracker?
    To claim your site in Geotracker go to the Geotracker Electronic Submittal page, review the information, or call the phone number in the upper right corner of the page.

  6. How do I find out who is the caseworker for my case?
    The lead case worker is identified in the upper right had corner on the GeoTracker header for each case. To find a case on GeoTracker, go to the GeoTracker homepage ( and click on Advanced Search. Enter the site address or site or facility name and click on Search. When your site shows up on the Project Search Results page, you can click on [Report] to go to the page for your site.

  7. back-to-top button Back to Top

  8. What are the Document Submittal Requirements? How do I submit documents to ACEH and to Geotracker?
    Documents are required to be submitted to the County and to the state's Geotracker website. Documents are submitted in electronic form as PDF documents to both the ACEH ftp website and the state GeoTracker website. Instructions for uploading a document to the ACEH ftp site can be found under "Online Services". To submit documents to Geotracker you must first claim your site at the Geotracker website. Otherwise you can access Geotracker here.

  9. back-to-top button Back to Top

  10. What are the requirements for uploading reports and/or correspondences electronically?
    • Reports submitted as attachments to electronic mail are not accepted.
    • Entire report including cover letter must be submitted to the ftp site as a single portable document format (PDF) with no password protection.
    • It is preferable that reports be converted to PDF format from their original format, (e.g., Microsoft Word) rather than scanned.
    • Signature pages and perjury statements must be included and have either original or electronic signature.
    • Do not password protect the document. Once indexed and inserted into the correct electronic case file, the document will be secured in compliance with the County's current security standards and a password. Documents with password protection will not be accepted.
    • Each page in the PDF document should be rotated in the direction that will make it easiest to read on a computer monitor.
    • Reports must be named and saved using the following naming convention: RO#_Report Name_Year-Month-Date (e.g., RO#5555_WorkPlan_2005-06-14)
    • A PDF copy of these requirements can be downloaded here. (19kb)*.
    • Suggested File Naming Conventions are available here (33kb)*.

  11. back-to-top button Back to Top

  12. How do I upload reports and correspondences to Alameda County's File Transfer Protocol (ftp) website?
    Please follow the following instructions below for electronic submittals:
    1. Obtain User Name and Password
      1. Contact the Alameda County Environmental Health Department to obtain a User Name and Password to upload files to the ftp site.
        1. Send an e-mail to
      2. In the subject line of your request, be sure to include "ftp PASSWORD REQUEST" and in the body of your request, include the Contact Information, Site Addresses, and the Case Numbers (RO# available in Geotracker) you will be posting for.
    2. 2) Upload Files to the ftp Site
      1. Open File Explorer using the Windows key windows keyboard button icon + E keyboard shortcut
        1. Note: Netscape, Safari, and Firefox browsers will not open the FTP site as they are NOT being supported at this time.
      2. On the address bar, type in
      3. Enter your User Name and Password. (Note: Both are Case Sensitive.)
      4. Click Log On
      5. Open "My Computer" on your computer and navigate to the file(s) you wish to upload to the ftp site.
      6. With both "My Computer" and the ftp site open in separate windows, drag and drop the file(s) from "My Computer" to the ftp window.
    3. 3) Send E-mail Notifications to the Environmental Cleanup Oversight Programs
      1. Send email to notify us that you have placed a report on our ftp site.
      2. Copy your Caseworker on the e-mail. Your Caseworker's e-mail address is the entire first name then a period and entire last name (e.g.,
      3. The subject line of the e-mail must start with the RO# followed by Report Upload. (e.g., Subject: RO1234 Report Upload) If site is a new case without an RO #, use the street address instead.
      4. If your document meets the above requirements and you follow the submission instructions, you will receive a notification by email indicating that your document was successfully uploaded to the ftp site.

  13. back-to-top button Back to Top

  14. Where do I get soil bore, well installation, or well destruction drilling permits?
    There are four agencies that issue drilling permits in Alameda County. Public Works Agency (ACPWA) issues drilling permits in Fremont, Newark, and Union City. Zone 7 Water Agency (Zone 7) : provides this service east of the East Bay Hills in the cities of Pleasanton, Dublin, Sunol, and Livermore. The City of Berkeley issues drilling permits in their city and Alameda County Public Works Agency (ACPWA) issues drilling permits in the remaining areas of Alameda County.

  15. When can I reuse soil at a site?
    In general ACEH follows the October 20, 2006 San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board draft Technical Reference Document Characterization and Reuse of Petroleum Hydrocarbon Impacted Soil as Inert Waste (pdf)*. Site by site differences can occur; however, the document is a common starting point for site specific considerations.

  16. back-to-top button Back to Top

  17. What does a tank closure mean?
    An underground storage tank (UST) closure is when a UST is taken out of service and will not be used again. A partial list of actions associated with this event include obtaining a UST removal permit, removal of the contents of the UST's, triple rinsing, inerting, excavating and removing the UST system (inclusive of product piping and other appurtenances), collection of soil and groundwater confirmation samples, sending the UST to a recycler for disposal, and back filling the excavation with clean material. All of these actions (and possibly more) are conducted under permit and under regulatory oversight by the local CUPA program. Be sure to communicate with the CUPA in your jurisdiction for proper permits. Under certain limited conditions (structural threat, limited clearance, overlying utility lines, or etc.), a UST may also be closed in-place.

    Generally, upon receipt of final analytical results without detectable concentrations a tank closure letter can be issued by the CUPA program. If contamination is detected, an Unauthorized Release Form (URF) is filled out and submitted to the CUPA. The CUPA program will then transfer case oversight to the environmental contamination oversight program. At that time the site becomes an environmental contamination case. In most of Alameda County oversight is provided by Alameda County Environmental Health. For more details on tank closure please contact the local CUPA Program. The Alameda County CUPA program can be accessed at this link.

  18. back-to-top button Back to Top

  19. What does a site or case closure mean?
    Site or case closure of an environmental contamination case is provided at the completion of site investigations and any appropriate remedial activities.

Geologic Map External Links

The following links may be of use for subsurface investigations within the county. Additional resources exist; these maps should not be considered a comprehensive listing. back-to-top button Back to Top

Online Services
Find a LUFT/SCP Site
Upload Reports (FTP)
Coming Soon...

Alameda County sealAlameda County © 2018 • All Rights Reserved • Legal / DisclaimersAccessibility