The Building Inspection Division has provided inspection services in the unincorporated areas of Alameda County since 1946 to insure residential and commercial buildings and structures conform to building code requirements. The standards of safe construction in the building codes are primarily designed to safeguard life, health, property and the public welfare, but will, at the same time, help protect the owner's investment.
Location & Hours
Alameda County Public Works Building
Building Inspection Division
399 Elmhurst Street, Room 141
Hayward, CA 94544
Click here for directions to the building
Building Permit Processing Hours
Mon.-Fri. 9:00am-4:00 pm except holidays
(Limited services between 1:00pm-2:00pm)
Over-the-Counter Plan Check
By Appointment Only - 510-670-5440
Permit Center Opening Hours
Mon. Tue. Thur. & Fri.: 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Alameda County Building Ordinance - Effective: January 1, 2011 (PDF - 5.9mb)*
- Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms under 2010 CRC (PDF - 52kb)*
- Green Building Program - Effective June 4, 2009
- C&D Debris Management Program - Effective August 13, 2009
- Alameda County Building Codes
- Daily Inspection Schedule
- Online Inspection Request
- 24-hour Inspection Request Line 510-670-5434
- Instructions for Inspection Requests
Service Fees - Effective July 1, 2010
- Service Fee Table - Schedule A (PDF - 38kb)*
- Building Valuation Table - Schedule B (PDF - 37kb)*
- Residential Fee Estimate Worksheet (XLS - 44kb)**
- Commercial Fee Estimate Worksheet (XLS - 44kb)**
The information and/or any documents that appear on this site may not reflect the most current adopted codes, policies or procedures. Please contact this office for additional information.
* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.
** Microsoft Excel Format (XLS) file requires the free Microsoft Excel Reader.