ALAMEDA COUNTY CLERK - RECORDER
The Alameda County Clerk-Recorder Volunteer Deputy Marriage Commissioner Program is designed to allow volunteers to perform civil marriage ceremonies and various duties to assist the general public.
The Volunteer Deputy Marriage Commissioner (VDMC) will perform civil marriage ceremonies in the Clerk-Recorder's wedding room and will provide information to the general public from the information desk.
To enrich the lives of Alameda County residents through visionary policies and accessible, responsive, and effective services.
Alameda County is recognized as one of the best counties in which to live, work and do business.
Integrity, honesty and respect fostering mutual trust.
Transparency and accountability achieved through open communications and involvement of diverse community voices.
Fiscal stewardship reflecting the responsible management of resources.
Customer service built on commitment, accessibility and responsiveness.
Excellence in performance based on strong leadership, teamwork and a willingness to take risks.
Diversity recognizing the unique qualities of every individual and his or her perspective.
Environmental stewardship to preserve, protect and restore our natural resources.
Social responsibility promoting self-sufficiency, economic independence and an interdependent system of care and support.
Compassion ensuring all people are treated with respect, dignity and fairness.
RESPONSIBILITES AND EXPECTATIONS
1. Arrives on scheduled day and time ready to perform services.
2. Maintains good attendance.
3. Perform civil marriage ceremonies and examines the marriage license for completeness in accordance with state requirements.
4. Greets and assists customers in a professional and courteous manner by:
5. Directs customers and the public to the appropriate locations in the building.
- Referring them to sources of information
- Distributing forms and explaining their completion
- Answering requests for factual information by consulting various available sources.
6. Notifies the supervisor or designee, in advance, in the event he or she will not be in at their scheduled time.
7. Adheres to Alameda County and the Auditor-Controller Agency policies and procedures.
8. May not accept any gifts or gratuities.
1. Personal Commitment to Alameda County Clerk-Recorder's Department.
2. Commitment to Quality Service and Helping Others.
3. Ability to read and write English.
(Persons who are fluent in other languages are encouraged to apply.)
4. Minimum age: 18 years of age or older.
HOURS OF SERVICE
Volunteers will be assigned 2-1/2 or 3-hour shift on a pre-assigned schedule Monday through Friday. Volunteers are requested to be available one shift per week with a minimum of one shift per month. Shift schedules are: Mondays and Fridays 9:00-11:30, 11:00-1:30, 12:30-3:00, 2:00-4:30
Tues., Wed., Thurs, 10:00 - 1:00 and 1:00 - 4:00.
REVOCATION AS A VOLUNTEER DEPUTY MARRIAGE COMMISSIONER
We reserve the right to revoke your authority to perform marriages and to serve as a Volunteer Deputy Marriage Commissioner at any given time.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
It is in the best interest of the Agency to avoid situations where a volunteer has a conflict of interest with any activity or program of the Agency, whether personal, philosophical, or financial. An individual having a conflict of interest will be encouraged to seek a more compatible outlet for his or her volunteer activity.
1. Potential Conflicts of Interest
Volunteers may be asked to disclose, in writing, any close association they may have with other non-profits. This will help avoid any potential conflicts of interest, or the perception of a conflict of interest.
2. Gifts and Gratuities
Volunteers are not to accept gifts or gratuities from any individual or representative of business with the Agency. Any offers of gifts or gratuities are to be reported to the volunteer's supervisor.
3. Financial Gain
Volunteers shall not use their position at the Agency to further the manufacture, distribution, promotion, or sale of any material product or service in which they have with a direct or indirect financial interest.
1. Print and complete the volunteer application. Click the link below to open the application:
2. Mail the application to this office:
Alameda County Clerk-Recorder's Office
ATTN: Administration Unit
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607
For additional information contact the Clerk-Recorder's Office at 510.272.6362.