Auditor-Controller/Clerk-Recorder Seal with open book in front of water, hills and sun

County of Alameda
Office of Melissa Wilk, Auditor-Controller/Clerk-Recorder

Marriage Ceremonies

Marriages Performed at the Clerk-Recorder's Office by a County Deputy Marriage Commissioner

Marriage ceremonies for couples with valid marriage licenses are by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please click here to book an appointment. Couples must provide at least one witness for the ceremony. Identification is not required for the witness(es). Marriages are performed by County employees or volunteers deputized specifically for this purpose. Limited translation services are available, upon request, at no additional charge. Due to occupancy limitations, only the couple and 25 guests total will be permitted into the building.

The fee for a civil ceremony is $75.00.

NOTE: Marriage ceremonies are only offered at the main office in Oakland.

Methods of Payment

  • Cash, Debit/ATM Card - In Person Only
  • Money Order, Cashier's or Traveler's Check - payable to: Alameda County Clerk Recorder
  • Personal, Company or Bank Check, preprinted with account holder's name and address - payable to: Alameda County Clerk Recorder
  • Credit cards are NOT accepted.

Marriages Performed By Clergy or Judges

Marriage ceremonies may be arranged by the couple with any member of the clergy who has been authorized by his/her denomination to perform such rites. After the ceremony has been performed, the license should be completed, with the signatures of the officiant and the witnesses, and returned by the officiant to the Clerk-Recorder's office.

Similarly, a judge or retired judge is authorized to perform marriage ceremonies however; the judge must be of a California State Court.

Marriages Performed by a Person Chosen by the Couple, Not Clergy or Judges (One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner)

Couples with a valid marriage license may choose to have a friend or relative of their choice deputized to perform their marriage ceremony.

The Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages may solemnize one marriage under the direction of the Commissioner of Civil Marriages per each application.


  • Deputy Marriage Commissioner must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. Citizen.
  • Couple must have a valid marriage license.

Please note: It is recommended that applications are submitted 4-6 weeks prior to the wedding date. Expedited requests and walk-ins are NOT available. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Deputization Process:

  • By Appointment: An appointment will be provided to the Deputy Marriage Commissioner applicant.
  • Notary Packet: A notary packet can be requested, in lieu of deputization by appointment.
  • * No appointments will be set nor packets mailed prior to receipt of the application and payment.


$75.00 (check or money order) payable to Alameda County Clerk-Recorder.

Submit the completed One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner application and payment to:

Alameda County Clerk-Recorder
Attn: Administrative Services
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607

Click here for application.

For additional information contact our Customer Service unit at 1-888-280-7708.