Alameda County Veterans hall banner
Photo of the Hayward Verteran's Hall

History of the Building

1933 - The site for the San Leandro Veterans Memorial Building was jointly purchased by the City of San Leandro and the local veterans organizations. From 1927 to 1935, Alameda County often funded such memorial buildings throughout the County. County Architect Henry Haight Meyers oversaw the designs. When completed the Veterans Memorial Building would house for the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Spanish War Veterans.

The Groundbreaking Ceremony was held on Armistice Day, November 11, 1933. On March 18, 1934 the cornerstone of the building was placed in position by William Bostaph, a local Civil War Veteran and holder of the Order of the Purple Heart. On July 6, 1934 the building was completed. At the time there was enormous civil pride over the building. It was described as one of the finest Italian-type buildings in Alameda County. The total cost of construction came to $89,000.

A dedication ceremony was held on Sunday, September 23, 1934. Over 1500 people attended the ceremony. Built in the late 40s to mid-50s, the new wing of the building was dedicated on July 5, 1951.