Do you know how to swim? The San Francisco Bay Area is especially prone to flooding and tsunamis. Save money, energy, and maybe some lives by preparing.
- Stock plywood, plastic sheeting, shovels, and sandbags for barriers. Sandbag Information
- Buy a flood insurance policy
- Remove dead or rotting tree branches that could fall and cause injury or damage
- Be familiar with tsunami warning signs:
- Strong earthquake lasting 20 or more seconds near the coast
- Noticeable rapid rise or fall in water levels
- Know how to get quickly inland to higher ground
- Listen to KCBS 740 AM
- Evacuate if instructed - if unable to leave, get to a higher elevation with dry clothes, a flashlight, and a radio
- Do not try to swim, walk, or drive through flooded areas - wait for rescuers!
For additional information, visit our Public Works Agency El Niño website.