The requirements to obtain a marriage license are:
- Both parties must appear together in person and be 18 years of age and older.
- Parties must present valid government-issued photo identification as proof of name and date of birth. Examples of acceptable forms of Identification include, Driver's license or State Identification, Passport, Military I.D., Consulate Card.
- Applicants must be unmarried. You may not be currently married to each other or to other individuals.
- Blood tests are not required to obtain a marriage license.
- If either party was previously married or in a State Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP), you must provide the exact date of the previous marriage or SRDP ended and how it ended (death, dissolution, divorce, or annulment).
- If the previous marriage or SRDP ended by dissolution, divorce, or annulment within the last 30 days, you must present a certified copy of the final judgment issued by the court.
- The fee is $81.00 for a public license and $90.00 for a confidential license. The fee is $17.00 for one certified copy of the marriage certificate. We accept cash, checks and debit cards (no credit cards).
Marriage licenses are issued at: Alameda County Clerk-Recorder's Office, 1106 Madison Street, Oakland Ca 94607. There is no appointment needed to apply for a marriage license. Requests for marriage licenses must be made before 4:00pm. The license may be used only in the State of California and is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued.
For information and forms regarding Power of Attorney for military marriages pursuant to SB7, select the following link:
SB7 Military Power of Attorney and Instructions (PDF)*