Albert Lopez
Planning Director

Code Enforcement

Welcome to the Code Enforcement Web page. We work with our unincorporated communities to protect residents' quality of life, tenant's rights to safe and habitable housing, to keep neighborhoods clean and safe, free of blight and nuisance and to protect property values by enforcing land use regulations.

The Code Enforcement Division enforces the following ordinances in the Unincorporated Areas of Alameda County:

If you have any questions regarding the information listed here or other procedures or violations regarding Code Enforcement, please call (510) 670-5460 or email

Code Enforcement Program

The County's Code Enforcement Staff works together with neighborhood associations, residents, housing providers, rental housing tenants, and business owners to eliminate those situations that could lead to unsightly and decaying conditions.

Rental Inspection Pilot Program Until December 31, 2024.
Reactive complaint system to improve service to tenant complaints of housing Quality, Maintenance concerns and Substandard Code Violations in the Unincorporated Alameda County.

  • Approved by the Board of Supervisors on March 2023.
  • Inspect, identify, and enforce habitability and housing code violations.
  • Provide referrals.
  • Collect data - to see what type of system can be in place after the pilot program.

To file a compliant please use our Code Enforcement Complaint Form.

This information is intended as a convenient reference to increase your understanding of the Code Enforcement process and assist you, your business and your neighborhood association in promoting a safe, healthy and attractive community.

Zoning Code Enforcement Procedures for the Neighborhood Preservation and Zoning Ordinance Violations

  • After receiving a complaint, staff will conduct a site visit to verify and document (photo) the violation (normally within 3 days of receipt of complaint). Staff attempts to verify violations within 3 business days.
  • Staff will send a "Notice of Violation" letter to the property owner and a copy to the tenant if applicable.
  • After the time specified for correcting the violation has elapsed, (in most cases 3 - 15 days) staff will conduct a re-inspection. If property is in compliance and the violation is corrected, the matter is dropped and the file is closed. If property is not in compliance, staff will send a "Final Notice to Abate" letter together with a "Hearing Notice" that lists the violation, address, date and time of the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) "Nuisance Hearing." A re-inspection fee is assessed at this time.
  • On the Monday prior to the Board of Zoning Adjustments nuisance hearing, staff will conduct a final inspection. If property is in compliance, the owner is billed a re-inspection fee and the matter is closed. If property is not in compliance, staff proceeds with preparing a staff report to present to the Board of Zoning Adjustments hearing.
  • At the hearing before the BZA, staff presents a report that includes details of the violation(s), staff's actions and any other detailed information that may be necessary. Staff will recommend a timeframe for the owner to abate the violation (not to exceed 60 days). A $50 hearing fee is assessed at this time.
  • If BZA agrees with staff, the property is declared a "public nuisance" and an "NPO Order" is issued. The order specifies the violation, the methods to correct the violation and the timeframe in which the violation is to be corrected.

If after the time specified in the NPO order elapses and the property is still not in compliance, staff will proceed with an abatement whereby a county approved contractor is hired to clean up the property for abatable violations. For violations that are not abatable, staff will apply fines to the property owner. These fines will increase with time until the violation is corrected. All abatement cost and administrative fees are billed to the property owner. If the bill is not paid, a lien is placed on the property and is collected with the yearly tax bill.

NOTE: Code Enforcement has jurisdiction over private property. Dumping on the street should be referred to Public Works and abandoned vehicles on the street should be referred to the Sheriff's Department.